Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greetings!

Over the last few years, I have made several attempts to maintain blogs, online diaries, etc. “Attempts” is the operative term here, as they all inevitably are abandoned for one reason or another.

I am hoping that this will not also be the case with this one. And yes, I’m pretty sure I’ve begun each with an entry just like this, basically saying, “Well, hopefully this will last more than a week. But don’t count on it.”

I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the state of our nation’s social and political discourse. It’s not that the policies I advocate are or aren’t being enacted—it’s that there seems to be a growing inability on the part of our citizenry (e.g. politicians, pundits, anyone with a laptop and ten minutes to spare, etc.) to discuss and consider them in a manner that is respectful and sincere. Sensationalism rules the day, and, unfortunately, it does so at the expense of rationality and genuine reflection.

This is likely nothing new to many people, nor is it really to me—anyone who’s ever heard my thoughts on our primary sources of “news” is aware of this much. However, the recent coverage of the death of Osama bin Laden has finally brought my frustrations to a head and moved me to begin airing some of my own opinions.

I expect very few (if any) people to read this, particularly considering it may not be maintained for very long.

If you should happen to read it, though, I ask you, please, do two things for me: 1. Consider seriously the issue at hand, and then do the same for my thoughts or questions in regards to it, and 2. Comment on the entry and share whatever thoughts or questions you might have in regards to it.

I do hope that people read this and that ultimately conversations will begin, because this is what is missing from our discourse. Fewer and fewer people want to listen to one another and have civilized conversations. Instead, we see who can yell louder and come up with the more outlandish statements, all for the sake of appearing convicted and informed. The arts of listening and inquiring are seemingly on life support.

Though I’ve been trying to become more active on Facebook in the way of responding to posts, or making my own, or sharing news articles, a lot of times this approach is too responsive and dependent on what others may be sharing. With this, though, hopefully I can be more proactive and give others at least one more opportunity to share ideas for which they might otherwise not have an outlet. That’s what I’m using it for, after all.

Assuming this blog is capable of some form of longevity (as well as keeping your attention), then you’ll become acquainted with my stances and beliefs in time. Many are fluid, and even for those that are solid, there is always more information to be learned and stances to be integrated.

On that note, there is one final request I’d make of any read this: don’t jump to conclusions about what others may or may not believe. Instead, listen thoroughly, and inquire often. I’ll try to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment